Friday, August 7, 2009

Buenos Aires, Week Ten

I can feel my trip beginning to wind down, and I'm slowly realizing that a great "summer" is finally coming to an end. I feel like I've accomplished and done so much here in Buenos Aires, but there is still so much that I want to do that I just won't have time for both at work and around the city. Many of my friends have already left the city, so the past few days have been rather quiet. Seeing them upset as they climbed into their taxis to go to the airport made me sad, and I can't even begin to imagine how I'll feel when it's my turn.

I've been very busy at work over the last week. Several applications for funding have deadlines that are quickly approaching, and I've been working on formatting them and organizing supplementary documents to submit. I've really enjoyed the past week or so. Outside of being proud of the work I've done, I've had a lot of fun with talking and joking around with my coworkers. They're really a great group of people, and I greatly appreciate the way they have respected me and guided me throughout my internship. We're scheduled to have a party for the day another student and I will be leaving, and I'm sure it will be a great time.

Outside of work, I've finally decided to begin my souvenir hunting search. It's been pretty tough so far because I'm so indecisive, but I'm sure I'll be able to find something for everyone. I also finally went to a tango show, and I was really impressed. We went to the famed CafĂ© Tortoni for a show that featured live music, singing, and (of course) dancing. There are still a few touristy things that I want to try to do, so hopefully I’ll find the time during my last week.

On a scarier note, a man actually gained entry into our residence last Sunday, entered several girls’ rooms, and stole a laptop and two phones, among other things. Although I did not see the burglar or have anything taken from me, it was still a very sobering moment. Thankfully, nobody was physically hurt and we are currently working with our supervisors at the residence and the COINED school to resolve, or at least appease, the situation. I guess the whole ordeal has altered my perspective on the issue of security and petty crime in places like Argentina. Until the incident, hardly anyone had lost anything. I guess it just goes to show that you’ve always got to be extremely careful when living in a strange place.

I hate to end my post that way, but I haven’t got much else to share. I’m not sure what I’m going to do with my last full weekend in Buenos Aires, but I’d at least like to see some more of the beautiful city that I’ve grown so accustomed to over the past three months.

No comments:

Post a Comment